The Leibniz Institute for Neurobiology is a Foundation under public law. The purpose of our foundation is to promote science and basic research in the field of neurobiology. The combination of molecular and cell biological neurosciences with system-oriented brain research serves a better understanding of learning and memory. The supervisory authority of the LIN is the Ministry of Economy, Science and Digitization of the State of Saxony-Anhalt.
Our institute comprises 5 scientific departments, 4 research groups and 4 special laboratories as well as the administration and service units. The departments form the scientific backbone of the house. They ensure continuity of LIN research. The research groups are independent of the departments and serve to attract complementary research topics and promising young scientists. Groups may be temporary or permanent in nature and are mainly financed by third party funds. The special labs were set up to maintain state-of-the art technology and equipment for LIN research. They provide internal and external service, but also pursue third-party-based own research projects.
According to LIN bylaws, governence bodies are: Management, Board of Directors and Foundation Council and Scientific Advisory Board form the governence
Managing Director is Prof. Dr. Stefan Remy. Head of the Administration is Thekla Thiel.
The Board of Directors is a collegiate body consisting of the heads of the scientific departments and the administrative management of the Institute:
- Prof. Dr. Stefan Remy
- Thekla Thiel
- Prof. Dr. Eckart Gundelfinger
- Prof. Dr. Hans-Jochen Heinze
- Prof. Dr. Bertram Gerber
- Prof. Dr. Frank Ohl
- Prof. Dr. Magdalena Sauvage
The administration headed by Thekla Thiel contains:
- Finance Department, headed by Sarah Könnemann
- Human Resources, headed by Andrea Exner
- Purchase Department, headed by Sabine Heinemann
- Facility Management, headed by Ingo Zak
- Research technique & events, headed by Reinhard Blumenstein
- Animal House, headed by Dr. Judith Kaufhold
- Library, headed by Dr. Elke Behrends
- IT service, headed by Sascha Meinel