Our library is a specialized scientific library focusing on neuroscience research. As a joined library, it brings together the collections of several theoretical institutes of the Medical Faculty of the Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg. Our library belongs as branched library to the Central Medical Library.
Our main topics
Neurobiology, neurophysiology, psychophysiology, neuropharmacology, neuromorphology, neurochemistry and molecular biology methods for learning and memory research, image processing
The LIN is committed to disseminating its research as widely as possible and has implemented an Open Access Policy. Our institute contributes to Leibniz Open, the central repository for Open Access publications of the Leibniz Association.
New media in our library
• Animal social networks
Jens Krause, 2015
Greg Stuart, 2016
John P.J. Pinel & Steven J. Barnes, 2022
• Entdecke das Riechen wieder: warum es sich lohnt, die Welt mit der Nase wahrzunehmen
Keller, Andreas, 2019
• Auf der Suche nach dem Gedächtnis = in search of memory: der Hirnforscher Eric Kandel. 2017
- Registration and usage
Using the library is free of charge.
To register please fill the form below and present an official identity document which includes a photograph and your address.
If you are already a member of the Medical Central Library no additional registration is required.
You immediately get a library card issued which is also valid in the Medical Central Library (MZB). Cards from the MZB will also be recognized at the LIN library. For students of the Otto-von-Guericke-University the student identification card serves as the library card too.
You need the library card for borrowing library items, maintaining your user account (changing of password, renewing of items, placing a hold) as well as for using the PCs in the Medical Central Library.
On your library card you'll find your user number (11 characters). Your date of birth (in the form ddmmyy) is preseeded as your password. In case of change of address (including e-mail address) or loss of your card please notify us immediately. The user is responsible for any disadvantages and consequences due to the loss or abuse of the card.
Conditions are clearly stated in the library user regulations of the University Library Magdeburg. By signing the application form you accept the regulations.
The membership is valid for one year and may be extended.
Borrowing, renewing and requesting items
Most of the resources are freely accessible and may be borrowed (with the exception of journals and reference collections).
The lending period is 28 days. You can renew items up to 5 times, if the item hasn' been requested by another user. You can renew items online using the link LOGIN to USER ACCOUNT. Renewing items is also possible in writing or by telephone.
As a special service you'll receive an e-mail notification 3 days before the end of the loan period. This is a voluntary non-binding service of the library and does not exempt you from the obligation to control the loan period.
You can request an item if the copy is out of loan. First complete a search at the online catalogue to find the book you need. It will note if it is "Available" or "Borrowed" underneath the description, click "Reserve" and confirm with your user number and password. You will receive an e-mail when your requests have arrived at the library counter.
Interlibrary loan requests
Books and articles from journals which are not in the LIN or the Medical Central Library can normally be requested from other libraries using the inter-library loans service. If required, please contact the library team.
- Catalogues and Libraries
- Online Catalogue of the LIN Library
- Electronic Journals Library - Leibniz Institute for Neurobiology
- Online Catalogue of the Central Library of the Medical Faculty Magdeburg
- Online Catalogue of the University Library of Magdeburg
- Electronic Journals Library (University Library and Medical Central Library Magdeburg)
- LIN publications
Libraries in Magdeburg
- University library of the OVGU
- Central Library of the OVGU
- Library of the Magdeburg - Stendal University of Applied Sciences
- Public Library in Magdeburg
Libraries and library networks in Germany
- German National Library
- Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin Preußischer Kulturbesitz
- ZB Med - Information Center for Life Sciences
- TIB - Leibniz-Informationszentrum Technik und Naturwissenschaften/Universitätsbibliothek
- FIZ Karlsruhe - Leibniz Institute for Information Infrastructure
- Journal Database: ZDB-OPAC
- Commun Library Network (GBV)
Research funding database
- PsycARTICLES *
- LIVIVO: The Search Portal for Life Sciences
- Scopus *
- Animal Health & Production Compendium *
Neuroscientific databases and tutorials
- Cell Centered Database
- MetaNeuron Program: Interactive neuron simulation program, Department of Neuroscience der University of Minnesota
- Neurons: animated cellular & molecular concepts
- Neuroscience Information Framework
- Interactive Neuroanatomy Atlas, Columbia University
- Virtual Library for Biology (vifabio)
- ETH: Information center for chemistry, biology and pharmacy
- BioMed Central
* online available with LIN account/within the LIN
- Open Access
Open Access stands for unrestricted and complimentary access to quality-assured scientific information on the internet. Thanks to the omission of technical, financial and legal barriers, Open Access helps accelerate scientific innovation processes and improve the visibility of research outcomes. The research and publication processes of individuals conducting research are enhanced as a result, and the benefit of publicly sponsored research is maximised. As a member of the Leibniz Association, the LIN Magdeburg is taking a strong position on Open Access and has implemented an Open Access Policy. Thus, it complies with the Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities and the Open Access policy of the Leibniz Association.
The LIN encourages its researchers to publish their research results according to the Open Access principle. The LIN promotes Open Access by:
- registering Open Access publications authored by LIN researchers in LeibnizOpen;
- providing its researchers with an allowance to the publication fees of Open Access publication media via a publication fund;
- informing and counselling its researchers about Open Access as well as by assisting with the clarification of legal questions in connection with the Open Access publication of their research.
- Leibniz Association: Open Access
- Open Access Publication Fund of the Leibniz Asscociation
- Leibniz Open
- Open Access 2020
- Open Science AG
- Plattform open-access.net
- Science Europe: Briefing Paper on Open Access Business Models and Current Trends in teh Open Acess Publishing System
- Checklist: Directory of Open Access Journals
- Sherpa/Romeo: Publisher copyright policies & self-archiving
- Figshare: Article Processing Charges
Monday and Thursday: 8 am – 3 pm
Tuesday and Wednesday: 8 am – 4 pm
Friday: 8 am – 2 pm