animal welfare officer
The main task of the animal welfare representatives is to ensure animal welfare and to mediate between authorities & scientists. The animal welfare representative at LIN must know about all animal experiments and writes a statement to each animal test request. In addition, she has scientific experience, advises the scientists in advance and also discusses possibilities with the government authority.
The animal welfare representative is an advisor for the planning of animal experiments, preparation of applications for animal experiments, execution of animal experiments with regard to animal welfare.
The 3Rs principle is applied here:
- Replace - if there are alternatives to the concrete animal experiment, there is a less developed species approach?
- Reduce - how many animals are needed to answer a certain question at most AND at least?
- Refine - are there better methods / procedures / experimental approaches that are less stressful for the animals?
It is also the everyday starting point, helps with theoretical and practical questions and takes over the local control of the animal experimental work in the institute.
We want to provide information on animal experiments and make the background transparent. We have compiled further information on the subject of understanding animal experiments.
Dr. Anja Oelschlegel studied veterinary medicine at the University of Leipzig. Afterwards she worked on her doctorate at the Friedrich-Löffler-Institute, the Federal Research Institute for Animal Health. From 2007 to 2013 she worked as a research assistant at The Scripps Research Institute in Florida. Since the end of 2013 Anja Oelschlegel is working as a scientist at the Leibniz Institute of Neurobiology Magdeburg. In 2020 she started working in the research group Neuroplasticity and took over the function of the animal welfare officer at the institute.
- Animal welfare at the institute
- The scientists at the institute take responsibility for animal welfare and optimize research methods to keep the stress on the animals as low as possible.
- The animal welfare officer Dr. Anja M. Oelschlegel and the deputy animal welfare officer Dr. Werner Zuschratter take over the local control of the animal welfare at the institute and advise for the well-being of the animals.
- The animal facility manager Dr. Judith Kaufhold and the animal keepers ensure optimal husbandry of the laboratory animals at the institute.
- The animal welfare committee informs and advises all employees who work with laboratory animals.
general principles of law:
- In our work we protect the animal protection law at any time.
- We work strictly according to the Ordinance on the protection of animals used for experimental purposes or for other scientific purposes (Animal Protection - Laboratory Animals Ordinance - TierSchVersV)
- Our scientific work is integrated in the Directive 2010/63/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council on the protection of animals used for scientific purpose
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft about animal experiments